Monday, 20 June 2011

Almodóvarthon: Part One


As I’ve already said, August is going to be Almodóvar month here at Nobody Knows Anybody. I’m probably going to write about ten of Almodóvar’s films (my ten favourites), with other posts on different aspects of his work as well, so I’ve started rewatching the films in order to work out which ones I want to write about. I’ve decided to watch them in chronological order: my first mini Almodóvarthon this weekend was made up of Pepi, Luci, Bom y otras chicas del monton / Pepi, Luci, Bom & other girls on the heap (1980), Laberinto de pasiones / Labyrinth of Passion (1982), Entre tinieblas / Dark Habits (1983), and ¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto? / What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984). It’s quite a long time since I last watched his early films, so it was interesting to see them again and pick out the start of Almodóvar’s cinematic style and sense of humour (as well as recurring themes and motifs). My favourite of the four, by a long chalk, is Dark Habits –I’d actually forgotten just how much I liked it the first time I saw it. It will definitely be one of the ten films, so I’ll say no more about it at the moment.

On a related note: the British Film Institute is currently playing a season of Spanish films from the late-1970s and 1980s under the title ‘Good Morning Freedom! Spanish Cinema after Franco', which includes the Almodóvar films mentioned above. Paul Julian Smith’s article from the current issue of Sight & Sound, about films from the period, has been put online (here).

No comments:

Post a Comment