Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Random Viewing


El artista y la modelo / The Artist and the Model (Fernando Trueba, 2012), Una pistola en cada mano / A Gun in Each Hand (Cesc Gay, 2012)

   My viewing schedule is somewhat haphazard at the moment, so I decided to take a break from Carlos Saura and prioritise some more recent films that I really want to see - both of these appeared in my post about films from last year that I wanted to catch up with.
   A bit of a mixed bag, really. Trueba's beautiful black and white film, set in occupied France just before the end of the Second World War, is a meditation on art, beauty, and searching for your artistic muse - I can admire it and appreciate the quality of the production, but overall it didn't do much for me. One to be revisited at a later date, perhaps.
   Cesc Gay's Ficción / Fiction (2006) is one of my favourite films from recent years, so I've been looking forward to seeing Una pistola en cada mano, especially with what must be one of the best ensemble cast line-ups around. Essentially a series of separate encounters between friends, acquaintances and loved ones, the film explores (in a comedic light) modern man as he reaches his 40s and the changes in relationships and life circumstances that ensue. The cast are all on top form but my favourite sections were probably the conversations between the duos of Eduard Fernández / Leonardo Sbaraglia and Ricardo Darín / Luis Tosar. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment