Tuesday, 23 June 2015

EIFF: María Candelaria (Emilio Fernández, 1944)


My review of Mexican classic María Candelaria is now up over at Eye for Film (here). I was a bit disappointed by it - I'm not sure what I was expecting but I found the acting very stilted and film to be quite dated overall. The quality of the print also meant that Gabriel Figueroa's cinematography was not as impressive as it could have been (having seen clearer still images elsewhere) - although, as I've said in the review, there were still several standout compositions that made it worth seeing. Perhaps it's also just not my sort of film. But Edinburgh maintains its record of screening the best subtitle of the year so far: in this case, "[indistinct shouting]".

2 comments:

Callan Steinmann said...

Hi Rebecca - I have a question about "Maria Candelaria." I'm hoping to screen the film as part of a Mexican film series I'm putting together at the museum where I work. I am having a very difficult time finding a DVD or BluRay copy of the film with English subtitles, however. I came across your blog in my online search, and saw you mentioned English subtitles in the copy you viewed! Do you happen to have any info about where I could find a copy of the DVD with English subtitles? Thank you in advance for your help!

Callan Steinmann
Associate Curator of Education
Georgia Museum of Art
callan@uga.edu
706.542.8863

Rebecca said...

Hi Callan - I've just emailed you but I'll say on here as well that I'm fairly sure that the festival had the film subtitled especially for the screening (the film was on 35mm, and my recollection is that the subtitles were below the image rather than one it). But I could be wrong - I'm going to find someone to ask.

Post a Comment